Anal & Prostate Play
Anal is a type of sexual stimulation that can be enjoyable for all genders! Anal play can include both internal and external stimulation with fingers, toys, or penetration. Your anal region is full of nerve endings and sensitivity, so experimenting in this area can feel extremely good. Today, we are going to talk about how anal works and the different types of toys available!
How Anal Works:
When trying anal for the first time, it is important to take it slow. The anus is a muscle and it takes time for muscles to relax enough to enjoy the feeling of anal play. Start with using a small toy or finger with lots of lubrication (check out our post on lubricants to see what might be best for anal!). It is important to know that anal, like all types of penetration, should not hurt.
People with prostates also enjoy anal play because the prostate is located inside the rectum, between the rectum and the penis. The prostate is a muscular gland that is surrounded by ultra-sensitive nerve endings that can be receptive to intense orgasms.
Different Types of Anal Toys:
When using anal toys, there are many different kinds to choose from, vibrating, plugs, beads, dildos, etc. It really boils down to preference, but here is a list of a few options available:
- Anal Plugs: Anal plugs come in all different types of materials (silicone, metal, plastic, etc.) and sizes. In general, they have a flared belly with a flat base. When choosing a plug, make sure that there is a base to hold onto so that the toy does not go up when the anus muscle contracts. Vibrating anal plugs can add extra stimulation by buzzing through the pelvis, anus, and possibly the prostate. Vibrating plugs can also add stimulation by increasing muscle contractions which produce stronger, longer-lasting orgasms. Stop into the store for recommendations from our knowledgable intimacy advisors!
- Anal Beads: Anal beads typically come in two types: 1) an interconnected stand that is molded together by a single piece of jelly, plastic, or silicone, or 2) beads connected together by string separated by knots on the string. Anal beads can be made of different materials and be vibrating or non-vibrating. For safety, beads should always have a ring at the end or a large handle to make sure they do not get lost in the rectum.
- Prostate Toys: Prostate toys are designed specifically to stimulate the prostate. Prostate toys come in many different shapes and sizes, but the most common design has a curved tip so that the prostate can be reached.
- Pegging Toys: Pegging toys are great for heterosexual couples looking to spice things up in the bedroom! Pegging toys come in a variety of sizes and shapes that are designed to reach the prostate.
Different Types of Toy Materials:
- Metal: Metal toys are great because they are easy to clean, durable, and susceptible to temperature/weight play!
- Silicone: Silicone toys are 100% body/ skin safe and offer a luxurious and realistic feel to the user.
- Glass: Glass toys are often thought to be fragile, but when used correctly, they can be extremely durable and provide lots of pleasure! Glass is great because it is easy to clean, has a long life (if cared for), and is free from unsafe body toxins.
- Inflatable: Using an inflatable anal toy is a great option for beginners or veterans! They provide minimal strain on the muscle, increased comfort, and can come in so many sizes!
If you are going to participate in anal sex, we always recommend that you take the proper precautions and practice safe sex (check out our post on safe sex to get in-depth information on testing and barrier use!).
Besides practicing safe sex by using contraceptives and testing, it is also recommended that you wash and douche properly. Douching is a personal choice but can be beneficial for reaching the rectum more thoroughly. If you do choose to douche, make sure that you use lubricant! You also will want to do it several hours before you are planning on participating in anal sex so that you do not have any bowel movements during sex.